Sunday, June 14, 2009

It's been awhile

I know it's been awhile since I last posted.
I've been quite busy. In my efforts to stimulate my household economy (since Uncle Obama won't) I've branched out to a new career. I recently took a course in becoming a Mortgage Loan Officer. 20 hours of in class time was required by the State of Utah. The course was mainly Real Estate law (yawn). Upon completion of the course I was then required to take a State and Federal test in order to get my license as a loan officer. Amazingly I passed the test the first time I took it! YAY!
The cool part is this job will allow me to work from home. I can get work done while the kids are in school and be home for them when they get home from school.
The next trick will be figuring out how to not allow Facebook games to distract me LOL

I've also been quite busy with yard work. We now have a decent yard for the kids to play in.
The main thing here that applies to my blog is the fact that I also now have a vegetable garden! I love home grown fresh veggies.
This isn't just any old garden with rows and furrows. The ground here is terrible! It's like clay. I somehow managed to talk my husband in to building me garden boxes for raised beds. I have adopted the principle of square foot gardening. I must say this is the coolest thing to happen to gardening in years!
If you've never heard of square foot gardening here's a link http://www.squarefootgardening.com/ It is so easy! I think the hardest part was mixing the "soil". So far I have planted radishes, green beans, peas, spinach, beets and a few tomato plants. Tomorrow I hope to get out and plant some more veggies.
I'm going to anxiously await the harvest. I'll be sharing some of my veggies with friends and neighbors, but I'm also planting enough that I'll be able to can and freeze some for future storage.

I'll try to take pictures of my square foot gardens and post them here.

No comments:

Post a Comment