Thursday, March 19, 2009

Frugal Birthday Party

I have a story to share with you that has led to my first frugal tip. Last month one of my 5 children was celebrating a birthday. She badly wanted to have a pizza party to "hang out" with her friends. I of course went to the grocery store and picked up some frozen pizza's. I also bought all the fixins to make her cake myself. As I was checking out the cashier asked me if we were having a birthday party and if the pizza's were for the party. I said "yes". Her response was WOW! I could save so much money this way! This response was what shocked me the most and made me wonder if some people just don't know how to save money.

My suggestion: Next time your child wants a pizza party, either pick up some frozen pizza's from the grocery store, or better yet make your own from scratch. All you need is to know how to make some pizza dough. If you don't know how to do that you can use frozen or refrigerated dough from the store. Pick up some spaghetti/pizza sauce, some cheese, pepperoni, or whatever toppings the kids would like. The kids will have a blast making their own mini pizza's. Be creative.
Next Birthday party, skip the Pizza joint, stay home and save some "dough".

1 comment:

  1. If you decide to make the whole pizza, there's always cookies. I had a party once where we had flat, large, round sugar cookies and an assortment of confections in the center of the table. There were different colored frostings in squeeze tubes, chocolate chips, sprinkles, gumdrops, crushed candy... I can't even remember it all. Everyone had a blast decorating and eating their own cookie. It was a great way to take a room full of adults and turn them into giggling children.

    ReplyDelete